Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesdays, and a few favorite things....

Wow, I am exhausted! Finally done with finals, and the Montrose Wine Festival, and its already time to take on summer. I realized this morning between packing a school lunch, and chasing a lazy pitbull out of my bedroom, that in the craziness I had not posted in awhile. I started to think about what to write, and decided to share some of my favorite things with all of you....
Every once in awhile it is soothing and fullfilling to take a step back, breathe deep and look for inspiration.
I've been looking for a lot of inspiration lately. Praying hard for my baby cousin Gracie (who was recently diagnosed with cancer at barely a year old, and is undergoing chemo treatments in NY), I have really been touched by all of the support from my friends who are praying hard for her, and donating money to help my family out. From my oldest and dearest friends to my newest ones, including Kristin from 11D on a flight to Phoenix, you all have been amazing.

 I have been working on some special prayer boards, pillows, and headbands for Gracie, and some wholesale orders. I love to mess around on Etsy, read my latest Vogue, and check out my favorite blogs for inspiration. So here we go.

Photography is an excellent place to start for inspiration. Tomorrow my friend Kaylan, who I met through work, will be coming down tomorrow to feature my work in her blog. I am excited and a little nervous! She is truly talented both with photography and in her art of jewelry making. She was one of the first women to inspire me in the handmade world. You can check out her talents here:
http://www.krobinsonphotography.com/.

I love discovering new designers. This is how I like to do it: search through a Vogue and polyvore.com, find a dress or outfit you like, and then put its characteristics into an Etsy Search. Here are a couple items from my new favorite shops.
"Lirola" has an affordable and chic style, very similar to many dresses by "Issa" that Princess Catherine is frequently wearing.
Lirola's Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Lirola?ref=pr_shop_more

Or this adorable store Venni Caprice, by super nice Lori,

Lori's Etsy Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/iyiamihandbags?ref=seller_info


Sometimes the cutest things are found in european Etsy shops, which makes sense in that Europe is usually adopting trends faster then we are. It can be intimidating to order from overseas on Etsy, so be sure to check their feedback, and their circle of stores. You can usually use those tools to see if a store is trustworthy. I love the new twist on hobo bags that this Etsy store presents. They also have adorable satchel purses.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/iyiamihandbags?ref=seller_info

I am in awe of people who completely step out of the box in their creations. Markhed Design's jewelry has a total dark edge, but is also really intricate and beautiful. And all handmade! Here is their "Franken Heart" Necklace. See more at :
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MarKhed?ref=seller_info


I have been really into making paper flowers for decor, hand stamping ribbons, and stencilling pillows and fabrics lately. It is a fun and easy way to work on some home decor improvements, decorations for parties and weddings, and let's not forget a good craft to do with your kids.
Stencils can be found everywhere on Etsy and are fun to have a "swap" lunch with your friends to get more use out of them.


I love beautiful table scapes with paper flowers. These are a challenge to make, but I am working on it. If you have the patience, just google some "how to's" and see which style you like.
One of my absolute favorite things right now are feather earrings, and it just so happens, I make them ;) I wear a pair almost everyday. They are beautiful, trendy and total attention getters.
Check them out on my Etsy here, and keep in touch for more pairs I will have this week...
Black, White and Grey feather earrings
So its Tuesday, and those are some of my favorite things. Share your inspirations with me anytime you wish either here or on Facebook, I love to see what you all are up to. And also, please pray for sweet Gracie. XOXO Mag

No comments:

Post a Comment